From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] Haplogroup I
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:13:08 -0800 (PST)

List: I would like to amernd a statement I made in relation to a posting by Malcolm yesterday. In reviewing my words, it is clear that I probably overstated the case.

In relation to Great Britian, haplogroup I is, according to the weight of research literature, an indication of "invader" ancestry. In other words, if one's ancestor's are from Britain, and you have haplogroup I, the most likely scenario is that your ancestor was Norse Viking, Danish Viking, or Anglo - Saxon (including Jute). However, in fact in one sense Malcolm is quite correct. Haplogroup I can come from virtually anywhere in Europe. Rosser et al., in their article "Y-Chromosomal Diversity in Europe is Clinal and Influenced Primarily by Geography, Rather than by Language" (AJHG, 67:1526-1543,2000), sampled 47 populations from Iceland, through the Ukraine, through Bulgaria, Poland and all the way to Portugal and even Algeria (not in Europe). The percentage of haplogroup I (HG2) was clinal, with the highest percentage (59%) in the Gotlanders of Sweden in the Northeast, decreasing to 3% in the Algerian population in the Southwest. Even in a population such as Georgian !
from the
Southern Caucasus area of Russia, the percentage was 48.

Perhaps I was not entirely clear on what this disagreement is between Malcolm and FTDNA over the matter, but there needs be no argument when there are databases such as the one cited above to settle a dispute.

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: