From: David Faux <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Haplogroup I
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:12:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello Bill:

It appears that the research is moving in the right direction, but to expect large Europe - wide databases which include all the variations of haplogroup I - for that we will have to wait.

I was pleased that Capelli et al. in their "A Y Chromosome Census of the British Isles" chose to categorize the old HG2 into two groupings based on the M170 UEP (Ix1b2), and M170 plus M26 (I1b2). Its a start. Hopefully there is a recognition that if people want to know if, for example, they are Anglo - Saxon or Norwegian "I", a fine tuning of the category with as many Unique Event Polymorphisms as can be located is ultimately necessary. If one is adopted and seeking paternal ancestry, at present knowing that one's haplogroup is I is not very helpful (since, as you said, I is found from Algeria to northern Sweden), but with more fine tuning of the category, at least a person may be able to say with some authority that their paternal ancestors came from, for example, the general region of western Russia - the time frame will always be a problem.

David F.

Lowe DNA <> wrote:
David...

The are many sub-haplogroups of I....and for me this research that I
reviewed earlier was enlightening but much to generalized.....

I would like to review detailed research that identifies, and separates, the
various I (or Hg2) sub-groups by country and/or region regions across the
entire European continent that is based on science (instead of invasions or
periods of historical conquests)........

There alot of us "I's" out here who don't know if we are from Norway or
Algeria...regardless of these generalized clinal percentages numbers from 59
to 3 percent....

www.davidkfaux.org

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: