Subject: [DNA] Matching a Person of a Different Surname 24/25
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:35:14 -0500

How common is the haplotype for your husband? Does he
have a lot of 12 marker matches? If he has many 12 marker
and a few 'near' matches at 25 then it may be random. If his
haplotype is fairly rare, i.e. no 12 marker matches, then it is
probably worth following up.
I think we are going to see a lot of this in the future
as the number of people tested increases. It can only be
resolved on an individual basis by combining the paper
genealogy and careful interpretation of the DNA

Keep us posted on how you handle the new information.

Dennis West
Janet wrote:

> I just learned that my husband matches a DNA participant in another
> surname group 24/25. The difference is at 464a. The other participant
> has a 15, while my husband has a 14. The surnames DO NOT match. They
> are not even close.
> Janet Crain

This thread: