From: "LJCrain" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Matching a Person of a Different Surname 24/25
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:08:26 -0600

Charles wrote:

Janet,

If the early male lines of both surnames were in the same area at the
same time in colonial Pennsylvania then I think you should explore it
further for a possible connection. What are the two surnames?

Charles

Thank you, Charles!

Crain and Gilbreath, changed from Galbraith. The Gilbreath genealogy is
descent through Andrew Galbraith Sr. born in 1692 in Ireland>Came to America
in 1718 settled in Lancaster County, PA. He had married Mary Kyle in
Ireland. Their son:
Andrew Gilbreath Jr. b. ca 1735 in Lancaster Co. PA who married Nancy Hickin
and
their son John Gilbreath b. 1768 in VA married Mary Coffee.

The only thing I have to connect the CRAIN's with PA is a Memoir written in
1959 quoting a descendant born in 1859 saying "All I ever knew about my
father was that he was a Pennsylvania Dutchman". (Her father Leroy McCraven
Crain Sr. died in the Civil War when she was very young.) He was my
husband's great grandfather. Other hints are that marriages to PA Dutch
occurred for several generations, even in MO.

Janet Crain

LJCrain wrote:
> I just learned that my husband matches a DNA participant in another
surname
group 24/25. The difference is at 464a. The other participant has a 15,
while my husband has a 14. The surnames DO NOT match. They are not even
close. The area and time frame look very promising: Pennsylvania in the
early 1700's. What am I to make of this? The markers have proven to be
somewhat rare. So should I attach a lot of importance to this? Thanks!

> Janet Crain

This thread: