From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup I / Hg2 is not clinal
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:51:52 -0800 (PST)

Hello Alan:

Actually an inspection of the raw scores expressed as percentages, clearly indicate a gradual decrease in frequency from the northeast of Europe to the southwest of Europe - although it is not as dramatic as the west - east cline for R1b (HG1). Concerning HG2, when you have 48% in Northern Swedish and adjacent areas, and 14% in Southern Portugal and adjacent areas - to me that is still a cline (but the numbers don't drop quite as precipitously as R1b or R1a (HG3)). That's the beauty of having the raw data available, it would suggest to me that the statement made by Rosser et al. was more correct if used in the relative sense, and not entirely consistent with the data if used in the absolute sense.

David F.

Alan Derriscott <> wrote:
Dear David Faux

Your input, Sun.16th Nov. re. Haplogroup I, I thought ment well, but was not
quite accurate in the use of CLINAL regarding the Z.Rosser et al, 2000,
scientific paper. The paragraph on page 10, just below Fig.4, states :-
**
Hg2 is the most ancestral lineage that we find in Europe ............
Consistent with this, Hg2 chromosomes are widely distributed across the whole
landscape and constitute the only high-frequency lineage that does not show
clinal variation (figs.3B and 4C)...................**

Best wishes,Alan.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: