From: Whitney Keen <>
Subject: [DNA] Italian surname project
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:52:59 -0500

My son in law, Francesco Sacchini, originally from Peccioli (Pisa) in
Tuscany, Italy is interested in starting a surname project for his
family. Most are probably still in Italy. His known relatives are all
in Italy, but there are Sacchinis in the US who may or may not be
related. He knows almost nothing about his family back 4 generations or
more. No one was interested.

What is the best way for him to start and which service has the best
European database. For my family surname project I am using Family Tree
DNA which has a good American and Jewish database (both work for my
family but not for his). They are excellent but I am not sure how strong
they are in Italian dna. Cost and number of markers tested is a factor.
Has anyone used DNA heritage for starting a surname project? Is their
European database extensive enough?

M. Whitney Keen
Group Administrator
Whitney Surname Project