From: "Malcolm Dodd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] RE Haplogroup I
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:13:18 -0000

Hi Nicholas and others interested in haplogroup I
Bonnie rightly corrected my global statement and pointed out that not all I
males would inherit "Uralic eyes".I regret my loose use of the English
language and hope the correction is noted by everyone.
Through this discussion I have enquired further into all of the
sub-divisions of "I" and have found something interesting. Note that we
comprise less than 20% of the European population and our haplotypes are
generally fairly rare.

FTDNA says - <I1b This line was derived within Viking / Scandinavian
populations in northwest Europe and has since spread down into southern
Europe where it is present at low frequencies.>

The Semino study in Science Nov 2000 says that I1b2* and I1b2a or EU8
(M89-T, M170-C, M26-A)
SPANISH BASQUE 4.4%
FRENCH BASQUE 9.1%
SARDINIAN35.1%

NO OTHERS

Note also M26 and M161

I would appreciate the views of others on the spread of these two
haplotypes. (Note that they are not mine and I have not yet researched them)

Malcolm