Subject: Re: [DNA] A Y HG I example and question
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:08:14 -0500 (EST)

Steve wrote:
> Am I correct to think B's haplotype represents the modal haplotype for
> the family? Should I wait until I have the rest of the markers before I
> try to make that decision?

You can't speak of a mode when there are three haplotypes with exactly
one instance each. What you have is a convincing case that B has the
ancestral haplotype, based on the shared surname, family heirlooms,
and DNA near-matches.

> Are these Viking HG I or Balkan HG I?

As has already been pointed out, "Viking" is a misleading label here,
since the those haplotypes were widespread long before the era of the
Vikings. (And how do we know that? From the fact that the parts of
England that were invaded by Anglo-Saxons and not by Danes show a
substantial proportion of "I".) Don't get stuck in the "Viking blood"
mystique.

John Chandler

This thread: