From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: Haplogroup I (and others)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:54:26 -0500

Hi Malcolm and all,

Malcolm, thanks for your acknowledgements, both on the list and to my
home email. It's nice to see for once that a discussion doesn't
degenerate into a useless back-and-forth ego contest. I re-wrote my
message several times, trying to give it the right tone, so that it
wouldn't offend...

Now, about those I1b2 clades... there are a number of studies that give
more info on them. One that has some more detailed geographic data is:
Rosaria Scozzari et al, "Human Y-Chromosome Variation in the Western
Mediterranean Area: Implications for the Peopling of the Area," Human
Immunology 62, 871-884, 2001.

They use a pretty weird system of referring to haplogroups and SNPs, but
according to my conversion, their Haplogroup 2.2 = I1b2. They
determined membership in the haplogroup by a complicated procedure that
seems to have involved the STR marker, YCAIIb. But I think it's the
same haplogroup, since they say in the abstract, "Two other haplogroups,
HG25.2 and HG2.2, were found to have much more restricted geographic
distributions. . . The latter haplogroup is common only in Sardinia,
which confirms the genetic peculiarity and isolation of the Sardinians..."

Oh, yeah, also, they say, "HG2.2 may be equivalent to the haplotype
Eu8..." That makes it pretty clear.

They give figures on its prevalence in many specific places:
%HG2.2
Southern Spain 1.6
Asturias 6.7
Pasiego 0
France 2.7
Corsica:
Balagna 0
Corte 1.6
Ajaccio 3.6
Bonifacio 0
Italy:
Liguria 0
Lombardy 0
Veneto 0
Latium (Rome) 1.5
Campania 0
Calabria 5.3
Sardinia:
It ranged from a low of 17.4% in Gallurese to a high of 55.6% in Monte
Ferru.
The overall Sardinian percentage was 35.3.
They found 0 members of this haplogroup in Sicily, Morocco, Bedouins,
Druzes, Palestinians, Estonians, Danes, Poles, and Russians.

I think there are probably better studies out there, but that one has a
lot of data.

Another one that looked for it found it only in Sardinia, at 34.6%,
while no members were found in Sicily, Corsica, North-Central Italy,
Calabria, France, Catalonia, or Greece. They say,
"Sardinia was highly differentiated from all the other popoulations due
in large part to the haplotype defined by M26 that is exceedingly rare
elsewhere. "

Actually, that study has more interesting data. It's called "Peopling
of Three Mediterranean Islands (Corsica, Sardinia, and Sicily) Inferred
by Y-Chromosome Biallelic Variability." Authors P. Francalacci, et al
(incl. Underhill and Cavalli-Sforza.) In Am. Journal of Physical Anthro.
121: 270-279, 2003.
For those interested in Haplogroups I and G, etc., percentages:
(I suppose the table will get messed up, but maybe folks can make it
out, especially by viewing it full-width.)
E3b J2 F G
I I1b2 R1b R1a1 Sample size
Sicily 5.9 31.4 11.8 11.8
3.9 0 27.5 3.9 51
Corsica 14.7 2.9 2.9 8.8
8.8 0 50.0 0 34
No.-Ctrl. Italy 2.0 14.0 0 10.0 8.0
0 62.1 4.0 50
Calabria 13.5 21.6 10.8 8.1 0
0 32.4 0 37
Sardinia 10.3 5.1 5.1 14.1 2.6
34.6 23.1 0 78
France 8.7 13.0 4.3 0
17.4 0 52.2 0 23
Catalonia 4.2 4.2 0 8.3
4.2 0 79.2 0 24
Greece 22.4 21.0 1.3 2.6 7.9
0 27.6 11.8 76

I certainly wouldn't take those French figures as gospel, since the
sample is only 23 men, in a large, populous country. But there are
some interesting points in the figures. I was very interested to see so
many in F, a rather rare group. There were some older studies that
claimed to find people in F, but that was before G was discovered, and
they had lumped them in together. In this, it is clearly people with
M89, without the markers for the other groups.

Back to I1b2 -- Underhill, back in 2000, apparently found examples of
I1b2 in a Moroccan and a couple of Basques. Then, there is that
mysterious presence of a person in the sub-clade I1b2a, who was Native
American! Or was this one of those . . . Melungeons?? :-) :-)

Bonnie Schrack
http://www.ancientrootsresearch.com

This thread: