From: Mike Humphrey <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: YSTR as a tool
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:21:05 -0800 (PST)

It's easier to use YSTR as a tool since the recent search upgrades. I've
used it in the past by "manually" searching on various n-step variations
& was struck by the matches in Spain, Columbia, & Portugal. The database
is still "small" relative to what we need for detailed migration analysis.

My 12-marker sequence FTDNA DYS sequence is:

13,23,14,10,14,14,11,14,11,13,11,29

I'm I*, so says FTDNA. I have 9 exact YSTR matches:

Finland 5 / 399
Gotland, Sweden 1 / 40
Leipzig, Saxony 1 / 573
Riga, Latvia 1 / 145
Western Norway 1 / 64

With the 1-step mutation DYS393 13->12, I get:

Bulgaria 1/ 122
Central Portugal 1 / 185
Denmark 1 / 63
Finland 1 / 399
Gdansk, N. Poland 2 / 543
Groningen, N. Netherlands 1 / 48
Lousiana [Hispanic-American] 1 / 30
Munich, Bavaria 2 / 251
New York City [Hispanic-American]2 / 150
Northern Norway 2 / 45
Sweden 2 / 403
So Paulo, Brazil [Europeans]1 / 247
Uppsala, Sweden 1 / 55
Western Norway 1 / 64

I haven't looked at all n-step variations, (where n <=4),
but the ones I've seen are mostly northern European,
Iberian, South American, & some Hispanic-American.

What does FTDNA tell me? My exact 12 & 25 marker matches are with other "I"
people of northern European origin. 1-step mutations are in Denmark, Finland,
Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Russia, Sweden.

2 steps to England, France, Italy... 3 steps to R1b, but the great
majority of all n-step mutations, n<=4, are all "I".

For migration paths I rely on the published papers and results of paper-trail
genealogy:

My Y-chromosome ancestors were American from 1640, English in England,
circa 1066 to 1640, Norman in France circa 800 AD onward, and before then,
probably Scandinavian, Saxon/Frankish. The DNA probably points to Danish,
rather than Norwegian, but there's just not enough data to be certain.

Mike ...

--- David Faux <> wrote:
> Locations in Spain, Portugal and their former "colonies" in South America are highly
> over - represented in this database; whereas there is virtually nothing from France and
> Britain. It is very difficult to come to such heady conclusions, especially if one has
> a R1b haplotype, based on a database that is so heavily skewed (IMHO).
>
> David F.
>
> wrote:
> List
>
> Has anyone considered using the YSTR database query results - specifically
> the "Distinctive haplotypes" and the "Haplotype Neighbors (+/- one allele per
> locus)" as a tool which may indicate not only geographical locations but could
> also point to ancient ancestry. ?
>
> My preliminary results (even with the database's limited input from France,
> the UK, and Ireland) indicate (IMO) a Celtic migratory pattern pointing
> Galicia in N.W. Iberia.
>
> Comments ?
>
> Lloyd Ellis
>

> Dr. David K. Faux, P.O. Box 192, Seal Beach, CA, 90740, USA
>

> www.davidkfaux.org

=====
Mike Humphrey Trombonist & HPC Computer Scientist
650 345-7108