From: "Lowe DNA" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Z.Rosser et al,2000, Hg2
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:35:23 -0600

Alan...

The discussion is not so much centered on the entire group HG2....it is
about lumping all of the HG2's (all sub-haplogroup I's) into one big bucket
with a claim to Viking or some other groups heritage..... It is clear that
these authors found what they termed a Hg2 clinal or geographic decrease in
frequency across Europe to the mid-east in their samples.....but which
sub-group of I was historically where, and why, and when ?

One of the original points yesterday was that there are at least 9 I
sub-haplogroups (see YCC Figure 1)...and that more care needs to be taken to
identify, differentiate these I sub-haplogroups and where their frequency is
greatest....which was not done in this paper...

Many of us have been lumped into Hg2 or I with NRY testing...but it would be
nice to also know if these 9 I sub-groups are also apparently clinal and if
they can be associated with specific historic population movements...

Bill