Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup R1b Ancestral Homeland
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:21:01 -0500 (EST)

David wrote:
> Patrick: What is it that convinces you that our R1b ancestor(s)
> spoke a language akin to that spoken by the Basque people today? Is
> it your contention that those R1b's who would ultimately become
> Celtic or Proto-Celtic and other ethnic groups originated in this
> region and spread north and eastward? I guess I am wondering
> whether the "home" of the single M173 ancestor can be in any sense
> of the word pinpointed geographically if not ethnically?

The chain of reasoning is simple. R1b is old and was clearly in place
long before the spread of Indo-European languages into western Europe.
Basque is the only non-Indo-European language surviving in western
Europe. Therefore, if we have any clue to the language(s) spoken by
the original R1b folk, Basque is it. This sole clue could be a false
lead, of course, but there's nothing else to go on. The location is
NOT a clue, though, since the survival of the Basque language is as
much an accident of geography as anything else. (There's Destiny,
too, of course, but that's so hard to quantify, except in hindsight)

John Chandler

This thread: