From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Marker DYS390 in World database
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:37:55 -0800 (PST)

Shane <> wrote:

> The Sutton Family project says -
> http://www.suttonfamily.biz/Haplogroup.htm
> > for Norse Viking territory, however this has not been confirmed.>
> Can the new World database confirm or deny this?

Malcolm's posting brings up something I still don't understand. Is it
possible to attach ethnic categories to specific marker values? I don't see
how this is possible given that, for example, a Viking could be one of many
haplogroups. Am I missing something here?

Folks: None of this, to me, makes any sense. DYS390 showed 4 separate mutations in one study of father - son pairs. I have DYS390 = 24. It could mutate in any generation. Perhaps one of my sons has DYS = 23 - then he is a Viking and I am not!

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: