From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Marker DYS390 in World database
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:40:02 -0800

At 02:37 PM 11/18/2003, David Faux wrote:

>I have DYS390 = 24. It could mutate in any generation. Perhaps one of my
>sons has DYS = 23 - then he is a Viking and I am not!

BRAVO!!!

That is exactly what everyone so keen on trying to link themselves to Eric
the Red has been ignoring. Mutations can lead to patterns that many are
assuming relate to some specific ethnic group and/or geographic
location. To take a limited number of markers for a contemporary group of
people and presume this has remained unchanged for 1,000 or 2,000 years
really is a reach IMHO especially given the number of mutations we are all
seeing in a much shorter time span with our studies. I have some branches
of families in my study that have remained steady for a provable 400 to 500
years, but other branches have changed several times in a much shorter
period.

Without solid genealogical connections how can anyone possibly claim the
patterns represent anything of this nature? Let alone a value on a single
marker.

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.wells.org
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: