From: "hamman" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Marker DYS390 in World database
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:41:24 -0800

Dear List,
Regarding mutation rates for STRs, has anyone observed in their surname
projects whether it depends at all on the average number of years per
transmission (or per generation)? Is it possible that the chance of
mutation in germ cells goes up with time? For example, I have an ancestral
line (case "A") where my GGGGgrandfather was born in 1814 and then I have
another line where my GGGGgrandfather was born in 1738, am I any more likely
to see a mutation in the latter case?
Brian