From: "Nancy Custer" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Relative Probability Positive vs. Negative Mutations
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:05:26 -0800

According to:

Lai Y and F Sun, The Relationship between Microsatellite Slippage
Mutation Rate and the Number of Repeat Units. Mol Biol Evol. 2003 Aug 29
[Epub ahead of print

Department of Mathematics, University of Southern California, 1042 West
36th Place, DRB288, Los Angeles, CA 90089-1113.

"The estimated slippage mutation rate increases exponentially as the
number of repeat units increases.

When slippage mutations happen, expansion [additions] occurs more
frequently for short microsatellites and contraction [losses] occurs
more frequently for long microsatellites.

Our results agree with the length dependent mutation pattern observed
from experimental data, and explain the scarcity of long