Subject: Re: [DNA] END of Thread for me re Viking ancestry
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:38:49 EST

As I read it, the upper classes were the ones with the money and the means to
travel and there is evidence that they did to avoid the plague. The feudal
system meant that the villeins and serfs were tied to the land and couldn't
move. The good news is that so many serfs died that there was a national shortage
of labour and the feudal system was undermined as a result. I suspect the
serfs would have settled for a little more of the feudal system, but you can't
have everything can you?
John Clare

> I occurred to me that nobody is taking into consideration the
> effect of the Black Death in the British Isles. Would this not
> have skewed today's results in favour of the conquered versus
> the conqueror (ie. the ruling class residing in the more urban
> areas were more affected by the Black Death)? Food for
> thought

This thread: