Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Haplogroup R1b Ancestral Homeland
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:05:21 -0500 (EST)

Lloyd wrote:
> Or, maybe it was the Celts !

No, the Celts are just another Indo-European group, like the Italics,
the Germanics, the Slavics, and so on. The thorough and detailed
similarities among all the Indo-European languages, as well as the
reconstructed proto-I-E vocabulary, provide convincing evidence that
these groups diverged from a common source on the eastern side of
Europe quite recently. Admittedly, linguistic "mutation" rates are
even less well known than STR rates, but it really doesn't take many
thousands of years to extrapolate the modern languages back to a
common ancestral tongue. What's more, the things those proto-I-E folk
talked about (as evidenced by the words they passed on to us) place
them on the east, away from the ocean -- and away from the primary
domain of the R1b haplogroup.

The Basques, on the other hand, have "always" been where they are
today, as far as we can tell. Their language has no known
relatives anywhere else. Their "anchor" in a moutainous stronghold
provides a logical explanation of their ability to maintain a
separate identity in the face of thousands of years of invasions,
both cultural and military.

It is indeed interesting that the identifiably Celtic populations
in the British Isles have the same preponderance of R1b as the
Basques. What this tells us is that the Celtic expansion was not
entirely a replacement of the prior inhabitants of western Europe.
However, it is difficult to be any more specific than that.

John Chandler

This thread: