Subject: Re: [DNA] Quetion? Maternal Match and mtDNAPlus testing
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:00:32 EST

In a message dated 11/19/03 9:07:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> 1) The difference between FTDNA's Maternal Match and mtDNAPlus tests

Maternal Match covers a part of the mtDNA molecule called HyperVariable
Region 1 (HVR1), and mtDNAPlus covers HVR1 and HVR2.

> 2) What the results will tell you about yourself - for either of the tests

You can learn your haplogroup (what Bryan Sykes called "The Seven Daughters
of Eve" for European haplogroups) from either test. Haplogroups are broad
categories showing your deep ancestry from thousands of years ago. You may also
have some additional changes within your haplogroup which narrow the pool of
people you match with, but your common ancestor could have lived thousands of
years ago.

> 3) Which of these would be best to recommend to someone in our group
>
> I have had several people in our groups ask about this and I just
> can't seem to send them an 'intelligent' answer.

Is this a surname group? Since mtDNA follows the straight maternal line, the
surname changes with every generation. A woman with the surname is just a
flash in the pan, so to speak (her mother and her children have different
surnames), so you can't really compile a data set of mtDNA types characteristic of the
surname. But individuals can take advantage of the group discount if they're
interested in their straight maternal line.