Subject: Re: [DNA] Identical haplotypes - different haplogroups?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:12:40 EST

In a message dated 11/16/03 6:44:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Since haplogroup is determined by an snp test, would
> it be possible for two y-DNA samples with identical
> haplotypes to be placed in different haplogroups?
>
> If so how large could the haplogroup differences be?
> It would seem fairly easy for an R1a and an R1b to have
> identical haplotypes. What about an R1b and an E3b?
> Could those two possibly have identical haplotypes?

There's a paper by Weale (details may be in the archives) which noted a 2%
incidence of the same haplotype occurring in two haplogroups, but they only used
6 markers. I think the frequency would drop off markedly as you add new
markers, but I can't recall any actual data.