From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] "Newbie" Resources
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:38:55 -0800 (PST)

I posted something about this matter a little while ago, but it seems to have provoked little interest. However, consistently newcomers to this List, who are often newcomers to the whole field of DNA - genetics, continue to (rightfully so) ask very basic questions. There is nothing wrong with that, and people on the List are very kind in providing helpful information and suggestions. My point is that each person new to the field should be given a set of resources that will give them an overview of the terminology, concepts etc. at the primary level so they at least know what, for example, mtDNA can and cannot do toward answering their genealogical and ancient ancestry questions. I have a medical and science background, I can only guess at how someone who has not taken a course in Genetics 101 or equivalent must feel when we throw around terms like Alu or Single Nucleotide Polymorphism or whatever. There is a learning curve involved here. There is no reason why a person!
of any
background cannot eventually have an excellent grasp of all this stuff - if they receive guidence.

I guess Ann, as Listmaster, the question is, if we develop a list of resource URLs (which will act as a library of resource material), since it can easily fit on one page, can it be sent automatically by Rootsweb when a person subscribes? I suspect that there are some already signed up who would like to have such a list so could we post it by the regular means also, then it would end up in the Archives. If Rootsweb cannot offer the automated procedure I have noted, then surely at least people could be given a URL which would tie into a posting in the Archives.

If all this makes sense, why don't we "oldtimers" chime in with a suggested reading (like Kevin Duerinck's site) until we have the 10 or so "most useful" sites for newcomers? We should ensure that at least some of the resources include a description of the "big three" DNA tests. I can then post the compiled list which will hopefully be useful to those already subscribed and those yet to take the plunge - and it will rest expectantly in the Archives for even the generations unborn (ok, I exaggerate) to access.

Should we really want to get fancy, we can ultimately have a separate list of all mtDNA databases, and another for Y-DNA databases.

Thoughts or contributions please.

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: