From: Dewaine Alcorn <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Newbie" Resources
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:08:17 -0600

on 11/20/03 2:38 PM, David Faux at wrote:

> If all this makes sense, why don't we "oldtimers" chime in with a suggested
> reading (like Kevin Duerinck's site) until we have the 10 or so "most useful"
> sites for newcomers? We should ensure that at least some of the resources
> include a description of the "big three" DNA tests. I can then post the
> compiled list which will hopefully be useful to those already subscribed and
> those yet to take the plunge - and it will rest expectantly in the Archives
> for even the generations unborn (ok, I exaggerate) to access.
>
> Should we really want to get fancy, we can ultimately have a separate list of
> all mtDNA databases, and another for Y-DNA databases.
>
> Thoughts or contributions please.
>
> David F.
>

> Dr. David K. Faux, P.O. Box 192, Seal Beach, CA, 90740, USA
>

> www.davidkfaux.org

I am a relatively new lister but I have found the DNA Heritage site very
valuable for its Tutorial and Masterclass topics.
http://www.dnaheritage.com/default.asp
The Tutorial is basic "what is DNA" stuff. Under the Masterclass header are
these links:
  Mutations and mutation rates
  SNP's and haplogroups
  Primer pairs and multiplexes