Subject: Re: [DNA] "Newbie" Resources
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:49:03 EST

In a message dated 11/20/03 12:40:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> I guess Ann, as Listmaster, the question is, if we develop a list of
> resource URLs (which will act as a library of resource material), since it can
> easily fit on one page, can it be sent automatically by Rootsweb when a person
> subscribes?

I can certainly edit the Welcome message, but I think it would be best to
have a single URL. If someone would like to volunteer to organize and host a list
of resources, that would be great. Here's one which I haven't mentioned in a
while:

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/geneticgenealogy/a/dna_tests.htm

I will paste the text of a message which I posted once and repeat
periodically. I still think that studying surname websites is an invaluable way to learn
about DNA. Lots of them provide links to other sites that they've found
helpful, too, so once you start your journey, who knows where you'll end up! But
it's getting to the point where there are so many project sites that you don't
even know where to begin. I'll give three for starters -- Jordan, Mumma, and
Lindsay -- but you could start almost anywhere and learn something. The URLs will
be found on Duerinck's page, listed below.

-----

Most of the traffic on the mailing list is about the Y chromosome used for
surname projects, so I'll assume that's your interest, too. Other topics are
mitochondrial DNA and a new technique for assessing percentages of your
ancestry
which come from various "BioGeographical" regions (Europe, Asia, Africa,
Native American http://www.ancestrybydna.com).

I think the very best way to learn about DNA testing for genealogy is to
study the web sites for various surname projects. The project coordinators
have
all gone through the same learning curve, and they all have different ways of

presenting the background science. Sometimes one way of wording things will
click with you (maybe on the second go-around, after you've read some
material on
another web site!)

For a concise starting point, take a look at the "DNA 101" section on the
BLAIR web site.

http://blairgenealogy.com/dna/dna101.html

Then explore some of the hundreds of projects listed at Kevin Duerinck's
site, along with many links to background material and a glossary. Chris
Pomery's
"DNA Portal" is another good centralized place with lots of links. But don't

stop at the ones I've mentioned -- there are many, many good web sites which
illustrate ways of tackling different genealogical puzzles using DNA.

http://www.duerinck.com/surname.html

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~allpoms/genetics.html

A general genetics book probably wouldn't be too useful, since DNA testing
for genealogy is quite specialized. But there's a web site called "DNA from
the
Beginning" which covers the general background:

http://www.dnaftb.org/dnaftb/

Nancy Custer has assembled some basic biology background which is more
targeted toward the testing techniques used for genealogy projects.

http://www.contexo.info/DNA_Basics/

Finally, don't forget that our archives are a repository of information, too.

It would take a long time to plow through them, but you can browse the
subject lines month by month, or search for keywords year by year.