Subject: Re: [DNA] Quetion? Maternal Match and mtDNAPlus testing
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:06:11 EST

In a message dated 11/20/03 4:26:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Thank you for that answer. That helped me as well. One more question on
> the topic... I know back 9 generations to the female in my direct female
> line who came to this country (USA) from Alsace/Lorraine (this is how the
> record is labeled although I know understand it should be one or the other).
> If I found another direct female from her, would our mtDNA match? Would the
> variations be similar to those discussed for Y-DNA?

Yes, your mtDNA would match -- mtDNA can remain the same for thousands of
years. Your mtDNA is compared to the Cambridge Reference Sequence, the first
complete sequence ever done. Everyone will match the CRS in most locations, but
there is often a handful of differences. Your report will show how you differ
from the CRS.