From: "ernest hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Newbie" Resources
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 06:24:41 -0500

Ann

On one of the lists I'm subscribed to, I used to get a message, about the
first of every month, describing general resources and recommended reading
(list archives, links to surname sites, etc) for anybody researching that
surname. In this case it was kinda overkill, since the maximum monthly
postings, ever, was about 100. Postings are way down now - maybe that's why
I haven't seen that message in a while. I think that would be an ideal
solution here, since the number of people on this list is growing, and will
continue to do so. I don't know if the list administrator "automated"
sending of the information message at the beginning of the month, but, if
not, it shouldn't be too hard to send same message once a month. If that
could happen, nobody would be on the list more than about 30 days before
they got that message, referring them to "recommended reading". I believe
the key here is repetition of the message, easy access to archives (which
some "newbies" don't seem to know how to access), and access to the
valuable surname & commercial sites.

I know, from my own experience, that a person who has "zero knowledge" of
genetics, statistics, etc. needs some base to work from, to understand most
of the messages posted here. I also know that there's no one site that will
answer every question a person might have. However, with the monthly
quantity of postings here, reading carefully through the last month or two
of postings, along with some of the websites, surname and commercial
(FTDNA, AncestrybyDNA, etc.) should really help a person "get their feet
wet". Of course, this wouldn't help the person whose idea of genealogy is
copying a bunch of gedcoms off the net, but I doubt if we have many of them
on this list.

Ernie Hurst

URLs will