From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: Black Death was Re: [DNA] END of Thread for me re Viking ancestry
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:15:45 -0400

> However, the more > populated urban areas were exposed more and thus
>> suffered
>> more.
>Which is why those who could moved out to their estates in the country,
which
>was, by definition the landed gentry.
>
>> As you note the labourers who clustered in the villages
>> were more at risk. However, so too would also have been the
>> tradesmen who in many cases were drawn from younger sons
>> of the ruling class.
>Not in 1350 they weren't. Being "in trade" was about as nasty an insult as
>you could use about somebody in "society" until about 200 years ago.

This is not the picture I have seen in Scotland. In truth one does have
little
to draw on in terms of records for mid to late 1300s but apprentice rolls
for the 1500s and 1600s are abundant. In my research of the Kincaids who
were mostly of good rank in the gentry class. There are marriages to
children
of the Earls of Rothes and Menteith so they were certainly of society.
However,
while brewars and merchants were the preferred, the younger sons or their
offspring became tailors, skinners, baxters, etc. If it were so in the
1500s and 1600s
one can't rule it out as being possible for the late 1300s. From what I
have seen it
is more likely that the trade ranks were filled more with those falling in
rank than
those rising from the lower classes.

Peter A. Kincaid
Hampton, NB, Canada