From: "Nicholas Penington" <>
Subject: [DNA] Slow moving markers
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:14:02 -0500

Let me state the obvious (at least for me) and see if it is shot down in
flames:
It just occurred to me that if the true overall mutation rate really is
between 0.0023 and 0.003, as John said, then since many of us are seeing
allot of mutations in 2-4 hundred years they must all be occurring in the
fast movers. This is really implied by FTDNA. SO the actual mutation rate
of the slow movers must be MUCH slower than 0.002. If true, this would
confirm that it is correct to use the slow ones only, to look back in time
1000 years. And yes there will be the odd case of a father and son
differing on DYS 390 etc but this will be rare. Signing off till Monday.

This thread: