From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: Black Death was Re: [DNA] END of Thread for me re Viking ancestry
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:21:14 -0400

At 12:08 PM 21/11/03 EST, you wrote:
>This may well not be the picture in Scotland, because Scotland did not get
>conquered by the Normans, did not have a feudal system but a clan system
and,

This is a stereotype. There is a big distinction between Scotland
north of the Forth and that South of the Forth. Scotland was not all
Clan based. The Normans had a huge influence in southern Scotland and
the feudal system was in place there.

>until 1603 was a totally different country with a different King and
government.
>English held their land as vassals of the King (who owned everything) and
>the land owning process involved parcelling the land into smaller and
smaller
>sections for the land owners who received dues from those below them in
rank and
>paid dues to those above them. The indigenous people tended not to have been
>given anything, they just paid their dues to those above them in terms of
>tithes to the church, rent, normally in labour, but also in military
service when
>required, to their lord. Younger sons of land owners became churchmen,
lawyers
>etc.

As in Scotland south of the Forth with some exceptions. The southwest
part of Scotland had pockets of Clans (ie. result of Irish invasions) and
some
of the families of the old kingdom of Strathclyde Bretons were not knocked
down to the lower classes but retained possession of their lands.

>The Scottish system was rather different and seems from what I have heard of
>it to be less strict in its rules about where ones place was in the society.

Not so different but I agree that each country (even areas within some
countries)
had its own uniqueness. Certainly one has to look at things on a more
micro level.
Scotland, for one, was a little different in that it did not have the large
towns and
cities which made it easier for runaway serfs to find refuge.

However, my point that the plague did not have an even effect (hitting urban
areas more than rural areas) making it, in my opinion, almost impossible to
determine, based on current populations, what the genetic makeup of an area
in the British Isles was prior to the Black Death.

Peter A. Kincaid
Hampton, NB, Canada

This thread: