Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic Distance calculation -- which method is best
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:48:07 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2003 7:32:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

If you strongly believe your approach is more valid I really encourage
you to continue the dialog with Bruce Walsh and advocate your approach
be adopted by FamilyTreeDNA via Bruce Walsh.
<

IMHO, I believe that what Bruce Walsh said about it being probable that, in
results with only one or two differences in markers out of 25, that before
multiple mutations (up and down) would occur on only those one or two markers,
mutations would, also, occur on the other 23 markers. Therefore, if 24 or 23
markers are the same then it doesn't make sense to square the steps on the
mutated markers, as that would be assuming that they had mutated multiple times.
Making an assumption in determining a distance match by squaring them is as bad
as making an assumption in determining a closer match by summing them, as they
are both assumptions.

If you have six mutations, with some being more than one step it doesn't
matter how you count them as the relationship isn't close enough to bother with.

Julia

This thread: