From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: Bonnie Thomas Chaffin's mtDNA question
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:16:43 -0500

Hi Bonnie, (mi tocaya*, as they'd say in Spanish!)

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this one - you wrote:

> I know back 9 generations to the female in my direct female
>line who came to this country (USA) from Alsace/Lorraine (this is how the
>record is labeled although I know understand it should be one or the other).
>If I found another direct female from her, would our mtDNA match? Would the
>variations be similar to those discussed for Y-DNA?

Great that you -- or some relative -- has done so much research on your
maternal line! I always feel like a voice in the wilderness urging
people to value these lines, and not to be so hung up on surnames. I
too can go back 9 generations. There is a neat project that hasn't
really caught on, which is the brainchild of Gregg Bonner. His idea is
for folks to post their maternal ancestry on Rootsweb, with the
indication of the mtDNA haplotype, so that all the maternal-line
descendents of that same original immigrant foremother will have a
chance to find out about their shared mtDNA type. He and I are the only
ones who have done it, as far as I know. Here is a link to the Rootsweb
page showing my maternal ancestor:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bonnie-mtdna&id=I70
<http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bonnie-mtdna&id=I70>;
In order to limit this database to only those sharing the same mtDNA,
the spouses have to be shown as "Unknown," even though I know their
names. I dealt with this by posting another version of the database
that includes all the spouses, etc.

And here's Gregg's page explaining the idea.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gbonner/mtDNA/
<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Egbonner/mtDNA/>;

As Ann mentioned, all direct female descendents should have matching
mtDNA. One difference between mtDNA and Y DNA is that the mtDNA mutates
much less frequently, so it would be very rare for there to be a
difference between one generation and another. In Y DNA surname
studies, it's quite common.

I'm not sure whether you've already been tested. If and when you find
out your haplotype, and haplogroup, that will make a difference in what
you can do. If you have one that's quite rare, it could allow you to
get valuable clues to your ancient family history when scientific
studies locate people of that group in some part of the world. If you
turn out to have an extremely common one, it can be tough to learn as
much from it, beyond the general history of the large group. But that's
pretty darn interesting, anyway, so ...good luck in your quest!

(*Tocayo/a = someone who shares one's name.)

Bonnie Schrack
Ancient Roots Research
http://www.ancientrootsresearch.com

This thread: