From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: Haplogroup X
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:37:52 -0500

Hi JH,

You wrote:

>As I have posted previously, I had OA do my mtDNA and received the following
>results: 16183C, 16189C, 16223T, and 16278T which places me in Haplogroup
>X. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't realize OA's testing was not
>as extensive as other labs, so I am not sure what other mutations I might
>have.
>
>Since my original post, I have managed to connect with a few other
>people who have the same mutations as I do and have directed them to this
>list.

Great that you've connected with some of them! Now the next step might
be to create a website to help all the members of Haplogroup X pool what
they have learned about their common history, and make more connections.

Please let me know if you might like some help setting up a web page.
(This is my small business. Very soon an example of a page I've done
for someone will be annouced on the list -- when my client feels ready.)

I can't remember, we may have corresponded in the past. Maybe you have
already seen my Haplogroup I web page. Sorry if this is old hat to you,
but it's at:
http://www.ancientrootsresearch.com/Hap-I/Hap-I-home.htm

>I know, thanks to people on this list, that mostly likely the above results
>do not indicate any NA in my maternal line. Is there anything else that
>can be gleaned from these results?

I hope that wasn't something you concluded from anything I said. I
would say that Native American ancestry certainly can't be ruled out
just on the basis of that haplotype. Whether you have NA ancestors
would best be learned in the context of your family history. There is a
specific geographic area, and a limited number of tribes, that had the X
haplogroup among Native Americans. If your family background makes a
connection to those regions or tribes plausible, then it would be worth
further research.

Again, this would be something I could help with somewhat. There are
various sources where I could look up specific info on haplogroup X --
let me know if you are interested. I'd be happy to help.

Bonnie Schrack
http://www.ancientrootsresearch.com

This thread: