Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic Distance calculation -- which method is best
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:37:13 EST

In a message dated 11/21/03 7:49:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> If you have six mutations, with some being more than one step it doesn't
> matter how you count them as the relationship isn't close enough to bother
> with.

This is good perspective for anyone whose main interest is the genealogical
time frame. You are looking for very close matches: one mismatch (out of 25) is
not at all surprising, two mismatches are often encountered WITHIN a surname
project, and three mismatches is pushing the boundaries (unless you have a
"bridge" haplotype that splits the difference). If you have two mismatches
OUTSIDE of a surname project, that's most likely to accidental. There are so many
combinations of ways to end up with two differences that you end up looking at a
very large pool of people.

I haven't had time (nor will I soon) to look at all the pros and cons in the
recent discussion. But I did notice that the recent paper about "Multiple
Origins of Ashkenazi Levites" (with Mike Hammer as a co-author) used the square of
differences method. That would be in the context of a longer time frame.

http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Levite%20paper.pdf