Subject: Re: [DNA] SALTIDOGGY DYS 447
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:28:38 EST

In a message dated 11/21/03 3:00:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Noticed that you show 20 at DYS 447 and it is 5 off the norm. My husband's
>
> results showed DYS 447 at 31. It is a value that I couldn't plug into
> YBASE.
> I contacted familytreedna to check if it had been a typo and was told, that
> although rare, it was a valid number. If 20 is 5 off norm, is 31 eleven
> off
> norm??? Dolores

The modal value (i.e., the single most common value) for DYS447 is 25.
SALTIDOGGY (Herbert) is lower by 5 and you are higher by 6. Both values are unusual,
but the larger the sample size, the more likely we are to encounter rare
ones.

In Herbert's case, a number of people had the same value, so it's not likely
to be a laboratory or clerical error. But if you match someone in your group
on every marker except one, and you have a big difference from them at that
locus, then it's worth double-checking with the lab to confirm your results.

http://ybase.org/statistics.asp#DYS447