Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Haplogroup X
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:58:12 EST

In a message dated 11/21/03 8:40:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> >I know, thanks to people on this list, that mostly likely the above
> results
> >do not indicate any NA in my maternal line. Is there anything else that
> >can be gleaned from these results?
> >
> I hope that wasn't something you concluded from anything I said. I
> would say that Native American ancestry certainly can't be ruled out
> just on the basis of that haplotype.

I think Jean may have been quoting me, and I in turn was relaying a guideline
from Ripan Malhi at Trace Genetics (and author of several papers; see
PubMed). Ripan says that to date 16213A has been found only in the Americas, and most
NA do have that. He listed a few exceptions, though.