From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FW: Related after 3 generations?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:45:35 -0500

Roberta,

Possibly this FBI person was referring to what he was taught as the
"legal" definition of "related" in the sense of when people are no
longer consider legally closely related, from the point of view of
marriage and common law estate jurisdictional laws, i.e., when someone
is considered legally unrelated and thus can legally marry each other
under various state laws and/or when someone would have legal standing
in disputing the estate of someone. Words have different meanings in
different arenas. Just a thought.

Charles

wrote:
> FROM: <removed>
> I need help please.
>
> I talked at length this morning with my nephew who is with the FBI.
>
> He tells me that after three generations we are no longer related to our
>
> ancestors.
>
> we are linked by names but not by blood.
>
> He says no one is related to one another after third cousins.

This thread: