From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NEWBIE SCENARIO
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:45:52 -0800 (PST)

You know, I have made the simplest of suggestions twice - I give up.

It appears that newcomers to the List will not be given any guidence by the inclusion of one link to one site on the web which will get them started and perhaps deflect some of the repeat questions that we see here that reflect the fact that many don't have the basic understanding of the matter to even formulate a clear question. It is not their fault - they are brand new to the topic. I don't know why it is a "weak agenda". It involves giving new subscribers a basic tool to get them started (and which will serve as a reference guide at later points). Common sense folks. I don't know if there is some hidden agenda of which I certainly am not aware. What, so "let them eat cake"? I feel a responsibility to help those struggling with the topic, but I also expect that they will have done a bit of homework first. It seems that there is a "sink or swim" attitude afoot. In addition to being a clinician, I am also a teacher. I have a textbook for every course I teach. It !
is an
esssential tool. Is the concept different on an Internet List where we speak of SNPs like everyone should know what this means. How many times has Ann or others given a definition of this one term?

Clearly I am fazed and dazed by what I perceive to be an unfathomable response to this matter by a cadre of individuals. I am shifting gears for the moment - active to passive. I will join the ranks of the "lurkers" - I really need to spend more time working on my newest publication. I trust that those who e-mail me with various questions will understand that for the moment I need to take a break. Good luck all.

David F.

Jim Hull <> wrote:
Thanks to all who privately e-mailed me with their comments and assessments
of the so-called "Newbie Scenario" which, of late, seems to be a weak agenda
for this website. Interestingly, the theme of the e-mails I received seems
to be that "all of us are "newbies" to DNA genealogy...we all need to share
and be a part of the DNA agenda...the learned must tolerate the unlearned."
I especially liked a comment from one person who said, "With their
website, they can control the agenda, set the ground rules, filter out the
have-nots and demand an offering for the rite of passage."

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: