From: "Lowe DNA" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Commercial Venture Aspect of DNA Testing Not The Issue
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:46:59 -0600

Raymond...

you noted...."They are working on building a database of 100,000
contributors. The only problem is that you must document all members in four
generations of ancestors and you don't get any results back from them.
Apparently they don't consider this work as ungodly and heathen, in fact
they are the ones who started it all."

Again as we have discussed here earlier this year, the Mormon Church thru a
third party company is enticing people to join their study without providing
the full results of such a study to all the individuals......This to me has
a tone of exploitation and obtaining information for later commercial or
possible medical purposes without full disclosure...........

I know that such a study is not cheap to run...but as we have discussed this
here before the Mormon based study is apparently not an altruistic project
from the information that I have been able to glean....it gives me a bad
feeling to know that a religious group is sponsoring such a study and not
disclosing the results.....

Bill

The Coon Surname DNA project is located at:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coondnapage/

We would like to have 100,000 participants too, but have only six at this
time. Something in between would work nicely. :-)

Here you will get your results and be able to compare with others in the
database.

When the last male in a genealogical line is gone then this opportunity will
die with him." END

I has questions for a few people and one of them joined and another seems to
be still considering it.

I wouldn't rely on "normal intelligence" or any kind of intelligence when
addressing people's fears. The appeal to authority, especially if the
authority is well respected in the genealogical community may help.

Raymond Coon
Oregon

> Greetings Peter,
>
> Unfortunately, the "commercial venture" aspect, that is sometimes
expressed
> by people regarding a Surname DNA Project, really has nothing to do with
> that issue at all. If so it would be relatively easy to explain that to a
> normally intelligent person.

to: