From: "Gaila & James Merrington" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:03:26 +1100

Hi Bonnie,

I believe, but am not 100 percent, that this is a foundation of the LDS
Church or Mormons, who hope to be able to run several projects off the back
of this collation of research. I am not sure why they aren't sharing the
information derived with participants. I am not sure which tests they are
conducting either, a full genotype of each person or Y dna or MTdna? My
cousins are LDS church members and one of them is involved with the test
project in so far as being a volunteer participant.

The LDS incorporate the concept of knowing your heritage into their religion
and the church has been very generous with genealogists. I am not a member
but I have enjoyed their Library and microfilms, and the free online 1880
census, and Family Search site.

If this is the LDS Church, then I would have few concerns. But if it is a
for profit foundation, I wouldn't be very interested. I think the Sorenson
glossary they have is worth some time to inspect, especially for newbies
Regards,
Gaila.

> Is anyone familiar with this research project and what they hope to
achieve?
> http://www.smgf.org/index.jsp?id=1
>
> Bonnie

This thread: