From: <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:51:21 -0500

Orin,

I wasn't aware that Sorenson owned Relative Genetics. Is he full owner
or a minority percentage owner.

All of a sudden it's becoming a little clearer I think. Relative
Genetics at some point in the not too distant future will suddenly have
a huge data base, larger likely than any of their competitors, gleaned
in part from the 100,000 people who thought they were participating in a
research project and never understood it would be used in a commercial
venture (i.e. Relative Genetics). Of course, this may not be the case,
but it surely looks like the situation has a lot of potential to evolve
this way.

My problem is a lack of disclosure to the participants that this link
was there and might or would be connected. I don't see this on their
web page. I don't think it's fair to the other companies either that a
religious organization be used to obtain a data base of information for
a commercial firm. And yes, I do realize that in the case of genealogy,
there exists a fine line between some of these things given the Mormon
churches interest in genealogy for religious purposes. It's not the
religious interest I have a problem with, it's the back door connection
between the church, the methodology of collecting the samples/data, and
the commercial venture, Relative Genetics. But then of course, I may be
wrong, and by the time they get their 100,000, the other private firms
will already have a significant data base of their own that does include
names for communicating with other participants.

Roberta