Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic Distance calculation - Comments re MacGregor and a further que
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:39:40 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2003 1:35:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> My question is: if we know a rough date for the split of different
> haplogroups, is it possible to identify a 'root' line for each haplogroup
> and from this calculate mutations away from the 'root' rather than trying
> to measure individuals against each other???
>
> Richard McGregor
> Clan Gregor DNA Project Co-ordinator

Richard:

Thanks very much for your ideas.

The above is what I am trying to do, using my own results as a "base line",
as I have a documented lineage within the "root line" which departed Ulster
500 years ago. We also have branch families known to originate in Ulster
(Antrim) and descend from the "root line" which emigrated to the US in the 17th and
18th Centuries. Based on the known lineage and the historical setlement
pattern of the emigrating families, the MRCA with me had to be between about 500
and 800 years ago. It's the "fast mutators" that seem to be way off on these
comparisons, with several mutations being higher than the 2 or 3 you mention
for 700 years By FTDNA (and other) guidelines, some would suggest no
relationship at all when, historically, the connection is a virtual certainty within
known time frames. Also, the vast majority of mismatches are in the "fast
mutators", especially the 464a-d series.

Len Keane,
Keane, etc. Y-DNA Surname Project Administrator

This thread: