From: K Haddad <>
Subject: [DNA] Scholarships
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:14:01 -0800 (PST)

We had a discussion about a week ago on getting more testing done by offering scholarships, and even sometimes that doesn't work. We discussed various hidden reasons people do not give for not ordering the test. But it occurred to me there could be one more reason.

Most genealogists are women ~ I'd say 3/4 of them. So a woman who wants to approach a male cousin about testing for the family can say, "I'll pay for it" as an encouragement. She may have risen above the pride issue and accepted a scholarship to pay for the test. But now she has a new hurdle. How many men want a woman to pay for anything for them other than lunch (the most liberated men will accept) and b/d gifts? So the pride issue starts all over again. And if he's not interested in genealogy, he's likely to think she's a little strange (we accept that) and will never agree to testing.

Actually, I have found it's like pulling teeth to get the women to approach a cousin about testing. They'll approach a husband or brother; but I only know of one who successfully approached a cousin, and he was already into genealogy. Sooooo, because it is so much work to find participants, I've decided to try concentrating on men who still carry my family surname.

And, by the way, I have found individual conversations with people more convincing than a mass mailing. People need time to think. Even salesmen know that the first no doesn't mean no, it just means they need time to absorb what you said; and the second no means they need more time to think it through.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Mr. Wells for his discussion of what could happen to our blood tests. I have been thinking it, but never put it on paper. And how about skin cells from uterine cancer tests and biopsies? And the list goes on....

Katheryn