From: "Lowe DNA" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] re ; testing cousins dna
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:13:59 -0600

Many of us older folks that slept thru 10th grade biology class don't know
the difference between an autosome or a sex chromosome.....nor that testing
uses just a tiny bit of any of these DNA structures for testing..... So now
almost 50 years later we tend to question things more......

That is where a good SURNAME coordinator comes in handy to explain to these
boomers and older folks in my age group that DNA testing looks at part of
the Y chromosome, or the mtDNA, and doesn't test for the other chromosomes
for aberrant genes or disease indicators that medical and/or insurance
companies would be interested in..... And the DNA testing company we use is
bound by law not to release DNA results unless the person tested gives them
permission.....so with this knowledge the person taking the test can be
assured they are in good hands.....