From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: NIGHTLINE via ABCNEWS - DNAPrint
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:23:53 -0800 (PST)

Bill and others:

A picture of Mr. Joseph was posted via this List. His phenotype is that of an African - American. If I saw him walking along the streets of LA, I would not even question the assumption. He was raised as an African - American, his phenotype clearly suggests some African ancestry, and we are to take the word of one DNA test that there is no genetic basis for his self - identification as such.

Has no one clued into the reality that the DNAPrint test is "quirky". It seems to be dead on for some people (perhaps due to coincidence), but for others is obviously off by a considerable margin (e.g., finding Native American in Europeans; and East Asian in almost anyone). Does Mr. Joseph not question the validity or reliability of the test because it is "science" and has proven its worth in forensic cases? So now he is Indo - European and Native American period. I don't think so and would recommend mt and Y DNA testing (has this been done?) - but even here it is a hit and miss proposition. I am rather hamstrung in not having seen the broadcast, but I trust that his genealogical roots have been adequately assessed via a clear paper trail.

None of this makes sense - they are putting far too much emphasis on the results of one (controversial) test. There is a parallel in some of the work I used to do, which included assessment of personality for Court. There is an excellent test for the purpose - one I had come to rely on. But I was taught to never, never put too much emphasis on any single measure - only on a battery of tests, and if the results all pointed in the same direction then this offered clear support of a diagnosis.

David F.

Lowe DNA <> wrote:
Thought I would send this bit on Wayne Joseph that was featured on
Nightline... Perhaps they will take my suggestion serious....

Bill

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: