From: "Malcolm Dodd" <>
Subject: [DNA] DNAPrint on Nightline -- error estimate seen on the certificate
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:24:35 -0000

DNAPrint say -
http://www.ancestrybydna.com/FAQs.html
>My proportions were 95% IndoEuropean and 5% East Asian, and the East Asian
part surprised me. How reliable is the 5% part of the profile?

The 5% East Asian means you most likely share sequence identity with East
Asians. From having run over 1,700 ancestrybydna tests we know to expect a
3% error in your profile, almost all of it originating at the genotyping
step. In rare cases where we have repeated analyses for a person over many
runs, we have observed an error rate as high as 5%, but this is rare – 2-3%
is the norm. Nonetheless, to be conservative, it is probably best for
customers to take values less than 5% with a grain of salt. They may be
significant, but they may not be. The confidence contours on your triangle
plot show this to be the case – at these low levels, there is always overlap
with 0% for this ancestry proportion. However, if you have a profile with a
low percent for a group, and it interests you, there are two things you can
do to confirm its significance – which brings us to the next: question <
Malcolm

This thread: