Subject: Re: [DNA] Measuring Genetic Distances [DYS464]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:08:48 EST

In a message dated 11/25/03 9:16:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Others hold differing views on genetic distance and I look forward to an
> interesting, engaging (and fun) discussion

Thanks very much for joining us! I have a somewhat related question about
DYS464. It seems contradictory to call it a rapidly changing marker, but then
apply the infinite allele model. Could you elaborate on that? I wrote a computer
simulation, which led me to conclude that the stepwise model (comparing a to
a, b to b, c to c, and d to d) gave a genetic distance somewhat closer to the
actual number of mutations.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2003-05/1053291356

Also, if you were the source for MRCA estimates on mitochondrial DNA, could
you tell us how you arrived at the 32 and 52 numbers (for HVR1&2, or HVR1
alone)?