Subject: Re: [DNA] Measuring Genetic Distances [DYS464]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:08:48 EST

In a message dated 11/25/03 9:16:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,

> Others hold differing views on genetic distance and I look forward to an
> interesting, engaging (and fun) discussion

Thanks very much for joining us! I have a somewhat related question about
DYS464. It seems contradictory to call it a rapidly changing marker, but then
apply the infinite allele model. Could you elaborate on that? I wrote a computer
simulation, which led me to conclude that the stepwise model (comparing a to
a, b to b, c to c, and d to d) gave a genetic distance somewhat closer to the
actual number of mutations.

Also, if you were the source for MRCA estimates on mitochondrial DNA, could
you tell us how you arrived at the 32 and 52 numbers (for HVR1&2, or HVR1