From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ireland, Scotland and Wales - Y-DNA Matches
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:31:43 -0800 (PST)

Shane et al.: One thing that people must realize about the REO Database is that the Haplogroup Database information is rolled into it. In other words, the Icelandic matches in REO come almost exclusively from the Haplogroup Database. It gets very confusing. The sample sizes are given in the REO but not the Haplogroup (I have been requesting a rectification of this for some time - but believe that it has something to do with the proprietary nature of the latter database).

If people will be kind enough to submit number of matches from each country in the Haplogroup Database if their R1b ancestors came from Ireland, Scotland and particularly Wales then I hope to be able to give some further information to help people use these valuable tools more effectively. Please send your "numbers" (matches at exact, one, and two mutation levels - Haplogroup Database only) to me on List or, if we start getting quite a few submissions, off List. There is much to be learned. Thank you.

David F.

Shane <> wrote:
David,

My ancestors in all likelihood didn't come from the countries you mentioned,
though I do seem to have quite a few matches in Ireland and Scotland. Don't
know if they would be useful to you. But I would be very interested in your
findings.

I have noticed something that has me concerned about the Haplogroup database
though. On a couple of my countries (Shetland and Iceland) I have the same
number of one-step matches as in my REO data. This leads me to believe these
Haplogroup results are skewed by surname results, just like the REO. I guess
these people all had their haplogroup confirmed as well. Doesn't make much
sense to me to have more than one person take this test when you all have
the same haplotype and surname. But that must have been the case. Either
that, or I've got some compelling ancestry evidence!

I wish there was a database that had a deep pool of test results that wasn't
skewed by surname projects or limited to only haplogroup confirmations.
Maybe then we would have solid evidence to determine ancestry patterns.

Shane

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: