From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ireland, Scotland and Wales - Y-DNA Matches
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:26:06 -0800 (PST)

Hello Arthur and all List members:

Thank you for your reply. What I need from anyone who can assist is one thing only - the matches and near matches in just the Haplogroup Database of FTDNA. My goal is to see if there is a detectible pattern of countries that keep popping up in the matches of individuals whose ancestral home is Ireland, Wales or Scotland. For example, if Portugal and Russia are typical, this may mean something (but at this point I don't know what).

In my professional work I did pattern analyses of one sort or another interpret information and make a diagnosis. I am wondering whether I can use this same procedure to
to see if I can figure a pattern of matches by country that is "Celtic". It would be wonderful if only the usual suspects (e.g., Wales) were to be found, but I suspect that we will see some surprises that can be instructive.

If you wish to help, the simplest way would be to use your copy feature and just paste the matches from your FTDNA Haplogroup page and send it along to my e-mail address. I will spread out 20 (or however many contributions I get) to see if I can spot a pattern emerging - then report to the List my observations. Ideally, we will be able to predict a "Celtic" pattern some day just by looking at the number of country matches. I think it is worth my effort and am pleased to be able to give it a try.

What brought this on is my Shetland Project which is going to have a mixture of Celtic (Scottish) and Norse haplotypes. In addition a person with the surname Faux, but not related, has a pattern of matches that seems to defy any classification. I am beginning to wonder whether it is ancient Briton.............

Again, I would be ever so greatful if you could send me just a list of country matches(exact, one, two and three mutation) in the FTDNA Haplogroup Database for individuals whose ancestors are known to be from Wales, Ireland or Scotland. I don't think I made this entirely clear in my initial posting so I am empasizing this now so people will know exactly what I need and don't need.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks to all who have sent information to date. This group is the best.

David F.

"A.Stapleton" <> wrote:
David: I seem to meet the criteria you requested. The test was by FTDNA. You
can view it at Ybase.org

I am interested in being updated when you have more to say on this.

Arthur Stapleton

<clipped here>

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: