From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] Recent Ethnic Origins Database vs. Haplogroup Database
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:30:02 -0800 (PST)

Shane: It is only the "Recent Ethnic Origins" database of FTDNA that is "contaminated" with the results of mega surname studies - but it also includes all the data in the Haplogroup database of the U of A.. The "Haplogroup" database is composed only of those who have been SNP tested, and is overwhelmingly composed of the database that was accumulated by Dr. Michael Hammer at the University of Arizona a few years ago. Therefore the latter will be a much better indicator of country matches in that the database is world - wide. The REO database is "loaded" with haplotypes from clients of FTDNA who are mostly of British, Irish, and German descent. How many from Uzbekistan have the disposible income etc. that would propel them into having their Y - DNA tested? Hopefully that will change, but until now we need to focus on the Haplogroup database if we are interested in where our ancient ancestors originated.

David F.

Shane <> wrote:

David,

So both databases could yield artificially high numbers of matches due to
surname study results, right?

As an aside, I'd be very interested in seeing if the Norway R1bs show any
pattern of differentiation from those of the Celtic areas.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: