From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: [DNA] Wacky ftdna results not so wacky
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:35:37 -0400

Sometime ago I was dumbfounded by a DNA result reported by
Family Tree DNA for one of our participants. This person was
from the Netherlands but has a solid paper trail back to Falkirk,
Scotland. However, his haplogroup was projected to be C (ie.
typical of Asian descent). This made me convinced that an error
occurred somewhere.

Bennett decided that the best thing to do in this case was to
partially test his second result to see if they matched. I was
informed tonight by Bennett that the results of the second test
were the same as the first.

He noted that he does not believe the participant to be C. He
stated that "we have found that there is an incidence of convergence
between Haplogroup I,G and O...I believe that this is somewhere
downstream of P-14."

Thus, this has been a lesson for me as a project leader. First of
all, expect the unexpected. Secondly, you have to hand it to
Family Tree DNA for going the extra mile for us naysayers. As
other's have said they have excellent customer service and their
results are both credible and repeatable. Thanks to Bennett for
the extra effort in this matter!

Peter A. Kincaid
Hampton, NB, Canada

This thread: