From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b Celtic Matches
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:36:36 -0400

>Alas, all this leads me to one inescapable conclusion, the Haplogroup
database is generally speaking not helpful in the attempt to locate the
ancient origins of those with a R1b haplotype. This leaves me with a
serious problem in trying to help people in my Shetland Islands Project
interpret their results. Previously I thought that I could "recognize" an
Anglo - Saxon or a Norman "profile". I was mistaken. Until we have
worldwide databases with 25 marker and SNP testing us R1b folks are going
to be at a loss to say much of anything about ancient origins. We will
have to confine ourselves to more recent times and answering questions
about relationships with those who have the same
surname........................... I must say that all this is rather
disappointing and will cause me to remove from my website all my
speculations about how my matches point to Norman ancestry. Thank goodness
my other grandfather was R1a from the Shetland Islands - there being only
one inter!
> pretation
> of this finding (considering surname, history, and DNA) - Norse Viking.

In my humble opinion the problem lies with these being multicultural areas
in the first place. What are Scots, Irish, English and Welsh but a mix of
Picts,
Bretons, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians, etc. who in turn are mixes of other
more ancient cultures. How do you sort them out 1000 years later? The best
one could expect is that a dominant haplotype emerges for a particular
surname;
and it would have to be the rarer geographic based surnames (ie. forget the
Smiths, Flemings, Masons, etc). I suspect the only development that will
turn
out to be exciting (if possible) is DNA extraction from the remains of some
of our
notable figures in history. I was quite intrigued by the recent post about
the
remains of King Harold.

Peter A. Kincaid
Hampton, NB, Canada